Saturday, November 20, 2004

Thai flowers


© Mark M. Hancock and The Dallas Morning News

Decorations containing candles, incense and flowers greet guests during the Thai Festival at the Buddhist Center of Dallas in Dallas on Saturday, November 20, 2004.

One of the cool things about freelancing is the ability to make images like this. I could make the image as a staffer, but it wouldn't get published in one of the official outlets. So, it would basically die forever.

Even as I made this image, I knew I was making it for my own happiness. I liked the color and the repetition of pattern. I made the image for me - actually for me and y'all. It was rather liberating and made me start enjoying photography again.

Although I liked my PJ work and did the best I could, I was a little jealous of the other photo bloggers who could shoot and display whatever they chose. I could only show the images after they were published in one of the official outlets.

I own several film cameras. However, it means I'd be out the cost of film and developing if I wanted to shoot something for me and y'all. Not to mention the scanning time involved and my home negative scanner is not professional quality.

Now, I have my own dit. I can shoot whatever I want, whenever I want. I get to choose which images I want to publish and when. Pretty darn cool. I'm not exactly sure how this works with the NPPA monthly clip contests, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Enough for now,

2 comments:

Bryon Houlgrave said...

Very vivid picture, uplifting color scheme. So what do you do with all those film cameras now???

Mark M. Hancock said...

Bookends?

Actually, I have a huge camera collection going back to 1916. For 35mm cameras, I still have two N90s, one F100 and one FM. My nephew is using my FG because he fancies himself a PJ.

I need to keep at least one 35mm camera as a back-up to my dit. I should get rid of one of the N90s, but I can't do it yet. I know it's not worth much now, and it'll hurt to find out how little they are worth.

So, I suppose they're going to be decorations for a while. I can't bring myself to get rid of any of my enlargers, projectors or darkroom equipment either.

I know I should, but my military background taught me that one electromagnetic pulse and we're all back to FMs and film again. I suppose they're my insurance policy against it.